Monday, May 20, 2013

You Attract What You Cause


You Attract What You Cause

A friend of mine was driving to work one morning as an anxious woman tailgated him for two miles. He got to an amber light, slowed down, and stopped as it turned red. The woman behind him honked her horn, dropped her hot Starbucks coffee, yelled profanities, and her IPhone slipped out from her hand and to the ground as she flailed her arms in despair.

As all that was happening, a policeman walked up to her driver’s side window. “Please get out of the car!” His voice was severe and direct. She opened the door and, still shaken, presented her license. The policeman proceeded to cuff her and took her down to the station.

After waiting in a jail cell for thirty minutes, the policeman came back to the woman apologetically, “I’m really sorry ma’am. As I was following your car, I noticed the WWJD and “Follow Me to Sunday School” stickers on your bumper; you had an “I love Jesus” license plate; and a Pro-life banner on your back window—I just assumed whomever was driving your car had stolen it!”

What we are—what we present ourselves as—should be our story. If it isn’t, expect that people around you are going to judge you harshly. In this world we don’t sow seeds of anger and get back authentic gentle behavior. Generally, when you become violent with someone, volatile and angry behavior follows you. When you steal from the hungry, you generally don’t have money to pay your rent.

I read this book called Psycho Cybernetics, written by a plastic surgeon who realized after fixing faces of people who had terrible birth defects—that people still see themselves as what they were. Without clinical help to change their minds, they were the same as before the surgery. In his book, Dr. Maxwell Maltz used hypnotherapy to begin the courageous move from seeing oneself as a horribly disfigured person to one who had been changed into someone beautiful.

My point is that we reflect on the outside is what we are on the inside. No amount of fancy bumper stickers are going to change an anxious and angry you. What will change you is a good look at yourself, behavior modification, and a consistent move toward therapeutic help.

I am a perfect example of this. I moved to Nashville to pursue singing Christian Contemporary Music. I was a closeted homosexual who wanted to be accepted by people who probably couldn’t accept me for who I was. And my idea of God who was also completely judgmental.

When I got down here, I faced persecution from my peers, hypocrisy from the industry, and the worst part, I recognized a part of me who didn’t want to live any longer. I was in a dark place, not because I was gay. I was anxious and angry and sad because I couldn’t find a way to be authentically me!

My first counseling session with my therapist was three hours long. I was fortunately the last person on his schedule. He stayed late to basically watch me cry for three hours as I told my story.

The question is and always will be: Are we our stories? Or are our stories what we hide behind as we accept who we really are?

My guess is that the answer is the second one. I have coached hundreds of people, maybe thousands, who have wanted to be someone they were not. Eventually, the real you will force you to take hold and no disguise will be enough to keep your from revealing who you really are.

In many people, deviant behavior follows hiding their true nature. One who is hiding from him/herself is bound to hate him/herself. They hate the fact that they have to lie to everyone daily just to function in their world.

When I finally decided to be myself no matter what the cost, I discovered a new, effortless life of love. I attracted the very people who would lead me to my true soul and caress my authentic colors. Be yourself, wonderful one. You are uniquely created by God to reflect something perfect and glorious!

Take a moment to be your authentic self today!


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.



No comments: