Friday, May 3, 2013

How Much Is Too Much?


How Much Is Too Much?

Most of us dream of the money that a Mega Million dollar lottery could win us. We dream of romance and love that is pure and strong. We think about a home that is opulent and decorated with beautiful and comfortable furnishings. We imagine a car that is fun and fancy. But what exactly is too much? How do we know when enough is enough?

For example:

We want to be rich, but have you ever known someone who has millions of dollars and asked them how it feels to be responsible for that much money, that many bills, that much property, that many taxes? I hear it is daunting, but, perhaps, not daunting enough for any of them to give all their money away. Remember the rich man who couldn’t get into heaven because he couldn’t give up his money. At any moment after you became rich, could you relinquish the gift if Spirit asked?

We want love, but have you ever been in a relationship with someone who smothers you with too much love? It’s almost as if there is an authentic amount of love that exists in healthy, secure relationships, but with anxious attachment, the need to be too close and too attached can possibly cause another person to be scared and run away, especially if they are an avoidant attached personality. Sometimes pure love means to give someone the space he/she needs to be happy.

I known people who have homes that are 6000-8000 square feet. They have to have maids, grounds keepers, pool maintenance, gardeners, and sometimes live-in help just to keep the place clean and organized. Would it be worth having a home that large if all you did was spend time cleaning, tidying and fixing things? I know with just 1750 sq. ft., it takes two people to keep the home clean, fixed, and tidied at all times.

If you’ve ever had a Jaguar or a Mercedes Benz or BMW, you know that the cost of fixing a foreign car is daunting. The tires alone on my BMW were $1400. I remember when getting tires on another car was about 450-500 dollars. In December and January I spent almost $4000 in maintenance on my car. I often wonder if it is worth it.

It seems that everything about something expensive requires more—more money, more attention, and more time. It’s as if more requires more.

So, if your attention is always on getting more, than you will always be attending to the “things” you have, instead of living your life, instead of attending the purpose of your life with Spirit.

My basic rule of requirement is that I pray that God provides me with the means to pay all my bills and have enough to never worry about finances. If that means making millions, than so be it. But I have noticed in my life that I haven’t gone without much, even though I don’t have millions. There always seems to be someone in my life who is willing to take me for a ride on his/her yacht, invite me someplace wonderful, take me for an expensive dinner, and even buy me gifts that I wouldn’t consider buying for myself. Sometimes riches don’t come in the form of money! When you ask for abundance, don’t limit God to just doling out dollars.

There is a Buddhist prayer that sounds something like this: “God, let me be a vessel of compassion and love today for anyone who needs me.”

Notice that the prayer doesn’t ask for God to make provisions for the person. That part of the prayer is understood. It is suggested that when you ask for knowledge, ask to be used by God, and are a vessel of love and compassion for the world, God the Father automatically provides what you need at all times. “Consider the lilies of the field…”

God is unlimited source. I believe that if you can always hear your heart and the voice of God, it wouldn’t matter how much money you have. But to those who are given a lot, a great deal is expected. I would imagine that if God gave you riches, then some of what you would have to do for the world would require you letting go of your riches—or more importantly letting money flow “through you,” not just to you.

So, the answer to the age-old question of how much is too much is based entirely on your ability to release from the abundance that is given you and continue to always let God use all your resources for the good of the world.

* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211. 

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

No comments: