Saturday, December 22, 2012

What Does Your Personal Warning Label Say?


What Does Your Personal Warning Label Say?

You may be concerned about what designer label you’re wearing this week. But believe me, you should be more concerned about the message you are sending with your body language, your demeanor and your words. You could be sending the following signals to people you want to impress:

“I have a bad time with relationships, so be scared to have one with me!”
“I’m too overweight to be pretty or handsome?”
“I’m too scared to talk to anyone, DO NOT APPROACH ME!”
“I have never been successful at anything, so don’t expect much of me.”
The list could go on and on and on.

I’m sure if you think right off the top of your mind, you will know one label you wear for certain. And I bet you proudly wear it well. Imagine what you would be without that label. Would life feel foreign? Would you be open to change?

I am told my label used to be: “I am all together and nothing can shake me!”

Well, it’s easy to remember the day that this label became null and void. I had been in a relationship for eight years, the day my partner left his email open on his desktop. Things had been rocky for six months, and I was suspicious. So I looked at the titles of the emails and saw one that stuck out. The man I had been with for seven years before that current relationship had sent my partner an email.  I opened it to discover they were having an affair! That day my perfect world crumbled.

I couldn’t stop crying. I would get it together long enough to see clients then schedule fifteen minute breaks between to crumble again. Tears seemed to flow endlessly.

It was during this time that friends said that I actually became available to them on a compassionate level. They said that my “label” of having it all together, put them off and made them feel, somehow, that they had to live up to my ideal of perfection.

None of my friends wanted to see me hurt. But they all thought that the hurt I went through during that break-up, made me a more compassionate and loving person. In other words, it changed my label from “I am all together and nothing can shake me!” to “I am vulnerable too. But that’s okay. We can help each other through the hard times in life!” 

This new trademark is a much better one. Sometimes you just have to thank the circumstances of life for giving you the opportunity to grow into a better person through the hard times. This was one of those times.

I don’t look back with anger anymore. I look back with pride that I was able to sustain a wonderful relationship for seven years that really satisfied my heart and soul. Perhaps, not all relationships are meant to go the distance. That is not for me to say.

Since Spirit God is always wanting us to go deeper and to love deeper, we are always going to be about discovering our WARNING LABELS. When we do, we should settle into them and ask God to help us learn to love the change that are about to happen. Because, I assure you, that change will happen. Change is inevitable when you are about looking inward toward a better and deeper spiritual life.

“Come forth, new life! Teach me to be real. Teach me to love with my whole heart. Teach me the lessons of truth, so that I may share them with all I meet. Help me discover what I don’t know about myself and create the change to make a difference.”

No comments: