Friday, December 21, 2012

Karma-Logically Thinking


Karma-Logically Speaking

            The dictionary defines Karma as:
            (in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
            The informal definition is: destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.
            I find myself thinking almost daily, I wouldn’t want to bring that fate (or karma) on myself, so I really shouldn’t do a certain act.
            For instance: I wouldn’t want to have someone talk behind my back, so I try not to speak poorly behind someone’s back.
            Contrary: I WOULD  want someone to support my business, so I do my best to support my friend’s businesses.
            This is karma in our day-to-day lives.
            But I think that the original belief of karma was that if you killed someone in this lifetime, then in another lifetime, you would probably have to suffer that same fate. But, clearly you would have to believe in reincarnation to care about that sort of thing. So, we westernized the concept and kind of made it similar to what Jesus said: “What you sow, you reap!”
            Either way, the concept is a great way to live you life. If you truly believe this kind of spirituality, your life does change for the better—if not with the negatives negating themselves, but more with the positive exponentially rewarding your life with more good.
            I watched my life completely transform financially when I began to give without restraint, as if my resources were a well that would never run dry. I might add that I also listen very closely to what I’m supposed to give to in my heart. Most times it isn’t what you’d think. I don’t usually give to the beggar on the corner or tithe (give 10%) to church. I give a gift to church, but not usually 10%. Sorry, tithe teachers. I’ve done that, and it just doesn’t let me flow with the spirit!
            My giving is usually to someone who appears in my life with a specific need that only I can fulfill. Or a financial calling that I get that I don’t expect, and it’s usually close to home—like a close friend or relative needing help.  
            There was a time in my life when I had no real understanding of how to give. I gave from guilt. Everyone who needed something was a reason to give. And, yes, I have to admit that even church giving felt like guilt. I actually stopped giving to church until the guilt went away. I didn’t want to give one single cent out of guilt. I wanted to give completely with love. It’s the only way to give. Really. Guilt giving is not a good thing. Case and point in the story below.
            One day, on the streets of NYC, I learned a heavy lesson. I stopped to give to a woman who had a blanket spread on the street. She was lying there with a sign painted on cardboard in lipstick: SICK AND HOMELESS. Her clothes were torn and face dirty. I bent down to put some money in her bucket and to my complete surprise, recognized her.
            She was someone I had worked night shift with as a word processor making $23 an hour at a major bank just six months before. I knelt down on my knees with even more compassionate now. “Honey, what happened?” I reached into my pocket to grab all the last bit of money I had to give her, when she shook her head. “No. It’s okay.”
            I read in her demeanor what she meant. She wasn’t doing this because she couldn’t work. She was doing it because it was an easy way to make money. I was completely disgusted. COMPLETELY!
            I shook my head in disbelief and walked off. Talk about karma. I wonder what karma will do with that one.
            The truth about karma is: We have an unlimited God with unlimited resources! We can let our human minds act from the fight or flight mode of the brain and believe that there is only enough for this week or this month, or we can live from the frontal cortex of the brain and imagine more wealth than we know what to do with. When we give with love; we get with love. When we find the restraint to refrain from doing things that will hurt our spirit, we protect others and ultimately ourselves from the same behavior.
            When we live according to karma AND live in the part of our brain that co-abides with our spiritual self, we create abundance in every area of our lives. It’s a win-win scenario for you and for everyone in your life! 

No comments: