Saturday, December 22, 2012

Flags for Independence


Flags for Independence

            I turned a page in my life. I’m finally a full-fledged NOTHINGACRAT. I turn on the television this morning to find both political parties smashing each other and fumbling with fouls. Three fouls, you’re out. I retired thinking I’d vote for my dog if I could.
            I want to be a good person and do my civic duty and vote. Of course, I want the responsibility that so many have died for. But when you have candidate after candidate making commercials that make you want to regurgitate negative rhetoric, you start to wonder who is the WORST, instead of who is the BEST.
            But I guess this is happening all over the world. I know I’d rather be voting than establishing a war to get the right president. We’re in the right direction there. But the fighting. I just want to be allowed to not take part in it.
            Don’t you?
            When anyone is around me causing a disturbance, fighting and bringing unrest to my environment, I do something about it. I make laws against my home and myself being in the middle of anyone else’s crap. I tell myself, focus on what you can control. I watch less television around election time and more movies.
            If you have someone in your life that is causing stress and anxiety by fighting and bringing contention, you need to do something about it. Don’t sit on your butt all day and think, well eventually this person will die or leave me. It’s probably not going to happen. You are probably going to die first because you have swallowed so much unrest without taking action. It’s the truth.
            Jesus was not just about talking about peace. He took action when he saw something that disturbed him. I’d imagine a lot of our finest spiritual teachers have done the same.
            If you have a partner that is seeking divorce and is vomiting all over you. Do something about it. If what they are doing is against the law (like breaking your things, abusing you verbally or physically), call the police. Take action. If you have a friend that brings this kind of unrest in your life, you just need to find another, better friend. I don’t care what the negative friend has done for you in the past to make you feel guilty enough to sustain this bad friendship, you have paid your dues. Time to move on.
            Listen, I’m 51, soon to 52 and I can tell you that life flies by quickly. You blink your eyes and all the things you dreamed of doing, start to look like they just ain’t gonnahappen. Now is the time to start taking action. You have to take control of your life and time, or you’ll end up sick from stuffing it down into your body, or taking it out on people you love—neither of which you want.
            Today is a good day to fly a flag of independence. We don’t have to be party to anything that does not bring peace to our hearts and our lives. Make laws against regret and begin taking action today! “This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

No comments: