Saturday, December 22, 2012

Speaking Pig-Latin in America


Speaking Pig-Latin in America

            Oh-Nay, A-way, OO-yah, ight-may ay-say.
            People actually speak different languages in the United States. I’m outraged and mortified. How will I communicate with them? How will I buy from their vendors? How will I listen to their instruction when they try to lead me through the steps of regaining my Internet connection? The road ahead is perilous.
            I remember a time in America when all there was were my Italian immigrant relatives living in a small town in Pennsylvania, called Monaca. We all spoke the same language, pigeon Italian. It was easy to communicate. But when we had to learn to communicate with the Indians in America, life turned hard and risky. We didn’t know whether we were trading our pepperoni for corn or baskets of cayenne peppers.
            Those were simpler times.
            I moved to New York City in the 80s. Everywhere I turned someone was speaking a different language. I never knew what was being said about me. I knew for certain, from the looks on their faces, they were speaking about me. I could just tell, you know. Life felt confusing like the times of the Tower of Babel.
            Do you ever think about that time in history? Or do you think it was mythical?
            The story goes that humans were getting too smart too quickly. They were building a tower to heaven. Their communication and abilities as one was so strong that they could break through the confines of the locked doors of heaven. So, as a result, God brought forth confusion. How did God do it? Through the barriers of many different languages.
            He separated us by breaking down communication. Language is our basic means of communication. So, by creating different languages for different groups of people, suddenly, there was no linear connection with each other, no strong mental community.
            What this says to me is that there is a way to reach the heavenly realm. This way is by means of coming together with one communicating force. When we find this, when we put down our battle weapons, we will find a way to rebuild the tower of Babel—which may be a metaphor for the connection to heaven.
            I know lately in my blog, I have been speculating about why now are we so connected in communication with cell phones and computers like never before. Why is it so possible to think of someone and be able to reach across the world and see and talk to him or her in a matter of a few pushes of a button?
            Because something is on the horizon that is spiritual, and it is huge.
            When we realize that all these communication mechanisms aren’t just to take pictures and send them to our friends. When we realize that you are holding in your hand a way to connect you to the vastness of Spirit in God, I think then you’ll realize that we are on our way back to something bigger than we had ever imagined.
            Some Christians believe that there is a rapture. Others believe that this is a metaphor for Jesus coming back in Clouds (the word “clouds” in the Greek could mean the believers). Jesus’ spirit of reform and reconstruction and resolution and healing is moving within us, if we but believe.
            I see many people leaving the earth at this time. It’s almost as if some are leaving to prepare the way. Others are leaving because they are standing in the way. But soon we will be waiting on a clear pathway toward the light together. Will we choose to use our power to communicate to rebuild our connection to God?
            Are you ready to believe that the barrier of communication is breaking down because we are now, as a spiritual community, somehow ready to break forth into a new paradigm of heavenly work?
            This Sunday, I truly believe I am.

No comments: