Saturday, December 22, 2012

Somebody of God


Somebody of God

            I was swept away yesterday by a story from a friend who went to see John of God in Brazil for two weeks. She radiated glory and peace as she shared her magnificent journey into the depths of her own soul to find a holy place inside her heart, she never knew existed. As delighted as I was for her, I was more intrigued by the story of the man she went to see.
            I’m not going to try to encapsulate the entire history of this man, but I do know that thousands of people from all over the world flock to his side for healing and prayer. As doctors and surgeons are on site, there are documented thousands of healings that take place.
            My friend’s story got interesting, though, when she began to tell about the process of seeing this man. Apparently, you had to go through rooms and lines of people waiting. Each place had prayer warriors guiding all the people to pray and meditate on healing the world, their hearts, and loved ones. (It took a village for the power of God to get as strong as it was through this man.)
            The closer she got to the man, the more people were around him praying fervently. As she tells the story, he comes to talk to the people at various times. Each time he tells them that he is just a man doing God’s work. He doesn’t heal. God does. He says that he has eight children and has been divorced and married twice. He’s just a man making his body and life available for God to use.
            No one takes money there except through a gift shop, which apparently makes enough to feed all the poor three meals a day in the small village. All of the people dedicating their time to prayer are all volunteers from all over the world.
            What amazed me most was the quote from John, “I’m just a man doing God’s work.”
            As my friend was speaking, I said my own prayer silently. “I will let you use my body and my soul to help others. Whatever you need?” I felt my heart swell and peace spread throughout my body. This is a prayer I say frequently, but yesterday it went deeper.
            We all can be that “Somebody of God.” All we have to do is allow ourselves to used and moved by the spirit.
           
You might ask, but this man had a special calling since he was a child. He heard the voice of God. I don’t hear the voice of God.
            This doesn’t mean you can’t be willing to hear, willing to get the call.
            I remember when I was younger, pursuing the theater, I heard someone preach about getting called to do God’s work in Africa. I scared me to make myself available to God then, because I thought I would be thrown off of my own path and placed on a path that I didn’t want to walk in somewhere far away land, using leaves instead of toilet paper.
            But as I got older, I realized that Spirit doesn’t “make” you do anything. You simply get a call or an urge in your heart. You can take it or ask for a different assignment. It just so happened that John of God was a willing soul in a lovely town standing on mostly quartz crystal. There was some amazingly powerful energy calling to someone to channel it and take on the healing of thousands, and he willing did it. He was too young, probably, to even understand what that meant. He just knew this was what he had to do.
            Much like you, I get up for work and look at my schedule and see the list of clients coming to me for healing or vocal lessons or yoga. I imagine, in that moment, that God is downloading the information I need to help anyone and everyone who comes into my life. It’s that easy.
            And when my clients come, the answers are on my lips. As John of God repeatedly says, “They are probably not my answers. They are God’s answers coming through a willing soul.”
             And in the healing portion and hypnosis, the same thing happens. I say a prayer, “God, lead me to the highest and best for this person. Help me find the words that will help this soul be empowered and relieved of all that they seek healing for.”  Then I wait and I listen. But mostly I trust and have no fear that God will be there to support that prayer, because God is all in all.
            You can be that Somebody of God today!

No comments: