Tuesday, May 6, 2014

No Do-Overs: #Suicide and #Suicidal Thoughts

No Do-Overs:  #Suicide and #Suicidal Thoughts

On a cold day in winter, after I had lived in Nashville for one year, a friend from New Jersey called me who attended my church. He wanted me to be the last person he would talk to before the overdose, he just took, began to take effect. He shared with me that he just didn’t love life enough to stay with us. He said that his gay life was too painful, and he would rather be with God. At that time, I was a very devout Christian minister, and reminded him of the scripture that suggests, that if you take your own life, this is the worst sin. At that time, I believed in hell, and I thought my friend’s soul was destined for it.

As he was from 500 miles away, for some reason, he thought I could do nothing about his fate. But, after talking with him and saying goodbye, I looked up his address, called the local police, and saved him from his own misdoing. About two months later, I received a phone call from him. Though, he wasn’t angry with me, he was still depressed. I suggested that he see a psychologist and find some medicine that would help him with his depression.

My friend was one of 750,000 suicide attempts in the U.S. a year. This fact, according to Suicide.org, is rather amazing; but, only 30,000 of those 750,000 attempts, actually die. The main cause of these attempts is untreated depression.

So, most people who try suicide are crying out for help. Can we hear them? I had a doctor friend who had four children. His youngest child just couldn’t seem to kick drugs. He would start college, be doing fine, then, suddenly, my friend would get a call. His son was in the hospital because of an overdose. My dear friend tried to help in every way, even giving up his personal life to take care of and nurture his son. They went on mission trips together. They even both got engaged at the same time. Two weeks before the intended marriage, my friend’s son hung himself. Suicide is real. Depression is real. But, how much have we done as a nation and a society to help stop it? I’m not sure that we’ve done enough.

Three of my dearest friends in the world have committed suicide, with no indication in my mind that anything was even wrong. In fact, I would say the successful suicides are well thought out and are enacted without a hitch. The only issue is the right time and the perfect storm of emotions to make the act actually happen. Two of the three of my friends successfully killed themselves when they had begun a regimen of a new antidepressant for only about two weeks. One of the issues with taking an antidepressant is the risk of suicide in the first three weeks of taking the medication. If you have a client or friend who just started a new psychotropic medication, the effects of a new antidepressant can be euphoric and cause a sense of fearlessness, which causes someone who is planning suicide the perfect opportunity to enact a deed that would be frightening for most.

Be aware and get the fact. Maybe, you, too, can help someone silently crying out for help!

In July, I am moving to Southern Florida to begin a new small imprint publishing company called: Finding Authentic You Publishing: findingauthenticyoupublishing.com. I am accepting submissions now for my January 2015 bookshelf. If you or any friends are interested, please go to the website and read the submission guidelines. Thanks.

Finding Authentic You is my brand and is also a self-help guide, which I wrote, with 365 Discoveries, meant to aid you in facilitating some of life’s most difficult challenges, like sleep. But, the discoveries also lead you to what you believe spiritually, understanding your goals, learning to believe in your self, discovering the most distinct you, unlocking all of your negative thinking, and helping you replace it with positive, creative thought using many different modalities, including hypnosis, prayer, and psychology. Once you know yourself, then relationship with Spirit and people is a fairly easy task.

For much more information about finding out about the psychology of the human mind and being your authentic self, self-love, and self-esteem, check out my new book below. “Finding Authentic You” will answer many of the questions I propose above. The book also has many discoveries about health, both mental and physical, as well as spiritual discoveries to lead you to your highest and best! Thanks for being a part of my tribe and helping me make this book be a Bestseller.



Finding Authentic You: With
365 Daily Discoveries & 7 Steps to Effective Change


* Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or http://bosebastian.com/Home_Page.php Please feel free to comment and/or sign up to receive your blog sent to you directly or stream with an RSS Feed. Please spread the word by liking the page or sharing this with your friends. 




No comments: