Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Intent

The Intent

So many words in life can take on different meanings as we travel through time. Look at the word gay. In the 1890s it meant joyous. Fag meant cigarette. Dikes are used to prevent flooding. Yet, as the years have passed, some of the terms have turned into detrimental language that is no longer appropriate in our modern vernacular.

For instance, a great of deal of people say “Namaste” at the end of yoga class and even more in the Hindu culture just say it with folded hands and bow their heads, but do you really know what the word means?

It literally means in the Sanskrit: salutations to you.

For many years I was told it meant, “God in me honors the God in you.” It could imply that, but it doesn’t mean that. Perhaps, yogis over the years have made the word a symbol of good intent. I’m not sure.

I often think of a technique actors use called “subtext” when thinking of the meaning of a word. The intent of the actor is to think of a feeling, such as anger or joy, then speak the word or the sentence.

The idea is that we actually don’t hear the word the actor speaks, we “feel” the intent behind the word spoken. So, a good actor can convince you that he/she is evil without actually saying anything evil. The malicious intent speaks volumes in the subtext of his eyes and actions.

As human beings, we often think that people don’t see our intent. How untrue. Most of us can spot an unauthentic person a mile away. I had been told in college and when I lived in NYC that I came off too nice and it appeared fake. So, I developed a persona that was less concerned about what people thought about me. Soon, no one was saying that about me. Later in life, I decided to not be what I am is completely against everything I believe. I have changed my persona back to what it was.

I tend to lead with nice, because that is just what I believe and want in return. People who are offended by that are people who probably aren’t nice inside and have anger tucked neatly beneath their firmly pressed outfits and coifed hair. To me, none of that makes a difference. The only thing I look for in a person when he/she speaks to me is an authentic connection between his/her words and actions.

If you find that the intent of a person is suspect, run away. You are very perceptive and know when someone is not being honest to you.  The only times in my life that I regret are the times I didn’t trust my instincts. Our instincts lead us to our truths. Trust them dearly. Instincts are your ally.

We have within us an intuition that we can develop as we become quiet and turn inward with meditation and prayer. If we listen to our hearts and bodies, we will be the embodiment of spirit, because there is no other way to be when you are in touch with God. You become more compassionate, loving, thoughtful and listen to the inner workings of your mind and the call of nature in the metaphors of life.





* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.



No comments: