Thursday, July 11, 2013

Let the Dead Bury the Dead

Let the Dead Bury the Dead

When Jesus said, “Follow me and let the dead bury their own dead,” in Matthew 8:22, what exactly did He mean?

In my research I started with checking the Greek Lexicon for the definitions of the words that confused me in this passage. What I discovered was that the first word dead in the Greek means “the inactive or inoperative.” The second word dead actually means “a body that has perished.”

So, Jesus may have been saying that, if you want to be led by the spirit, then follow the living spirit, not the inactive past!

I have spent so much of my life living in the past, I have trouble, sometimes, living in the great life I’ve co-created with God. Last evening, I had a beautiful time with my friend Sharon. We shared from our hearts. It opened my soul to explain some issues from my past, specifically a relationship that had gone awry. After we said goodnight, I began to relive the worst parts of the abandonment I had felt in that old relationship. I experienced vengeful thoughts and had trouble getting my mind quiet enough to sleep.

Finally, I did some hypnotherapeutic techniques and forced my mind out of the past to bury the old, abandon thoughts—once and for all.

We all have parts of our past that return like a bad movie looping over and over in our minds. How, then, do we follow the Master Jesus’ advice to bury the old thoughts and follow the present spirit of live moving us forward, instead of backward?

This kind of work has become a lifelong passion and search. I help so many people undo the accounts of the past, yet, in my own life, the past is harder to shed than I’d like to admit.

I read an article yesterday from the National Guild of Hypnosis that spoke about the difference between meditation and hypnosis. The author believed the only difference between the two was hypnosis had to be led by another individual, and meditation was basically self-induced or self-hypnosis.

I believe this is the light I needed to move forward today. Interestingly enough, I don’t really like the author of the article, but because the article was part of my CEUs for my licensure, I had to read it. Someone I didn’t even trust as authentic actually gave me light! That is a paradigm shift in itself.

But what I’m trying to deliver with this message is that it is easier to hand over your problems to someone else and let them help you rediscover your power than trying to find your own power within without external help.

As a practitioner, I have the same problem I had when I was a minister. I forget that I, too, need to be led and guided once in awhile. As I go toward the light, I often have to consult trusted practitioners and counselors for advice as I proceed with my own relationships and work.

As a parent or teacher or boss you may also feel as if you are the leader most of the time. Don’t be too proud to ask for help outside the parameters of what you do! Even the best relationships require some outside help sometimes.

* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.



No comments: