Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Gateway to Happiness

Gateway to Happiness

Every time someone dies in my life, I think of one thing: Why am I wasting so much of my life in stasis?

Death is like pulling a “wake-up” card in your daily reading and stapling it to your forehead. “Hey, YOU! Life is short. You never know when your time is up! Get with it! Do what you’re here to do!”

I’ve been writing a great deal about our life’s purpose. There is a good reason. Without a clear vision of your future, you will cease to exist. I’m not talking that you will die physically. I believe you will perish mentally. You will end up in stasis and complacency.

Every year I used to take a week off in January, go to the beach, bring my journal, and plan for the next year. I would set achievable goals for myself. I would place thoughts about what would make me happy and joyful. I would create defined dreams for the future. I noticed that, as I did this, almost every goal would be achieved before the end of the year.

About three years ago, I went to the beach. The only thing that kept coming to my mind was… “your goal is to be ‘goal free’ for the entire year. See, if you can be led by the spirit every day.”

As I tried my best to stay out of my controlling mind—which is really strong—I watched as my level of complacency deepened. I didn’t know how to act without a goal. I am, by nature, goal oriented. I have always been this way. I set my mind to write 10 pages of a book a day, and you better believe those 10 pages are done, edited and printed or the rest of my day is useless.

I remember, even as a child, when I had something important that needed to be accomplished, I would say to myself: “If you finish your book report, then you can go outside and play! Otherwise, you have to stay inside and practice the piano.”

It was as if, I got the idea of parenting myself at a very young age. As I didn’t have a caring father or a mother that lived with my five siblings, there was no one but me to look after me. I just kept thinking, if I’m not brilliant and talented, then I will never get out of this hell hole of a town, and I’ll end up like all the losers that work at the steel mill and get cancer from the steel dust in my lungs. That was my motivation.

That was enough to get me a 4.0 in high school and get off to college on almost a full scholarship to Carnegie Mellon University. No parent helped me do my financial statements for a student loan. No teacher led me along the path of where I wanted to go. I just jumped in and did it. Fear never had a dwelling place when it came to getting things accomplished.

Making life happen is usually about removing the blocks to your creative mind. My friend Sharon has to play the piano, play the organ, clean the kitty litter box, and watch an hour of television before she can get to finishing her Masters Thesis. I always tell her, “Wouldn’t it just be easier to define a time to work and just work? Why do you have to go through this avoidance ritual?”

Her answer, “I just can’t seem to get motivated to do what I know I have to do.”

Isn’t this most people’s answer to my question?

Today is the day you are going to find the gateway to happiness. You are motivated to take whatever has been troubling you, holding you back, and standing in the way of your success and demolish it with your mind. You are going to envision the pathway to your success as clear and free. You no longer need to sabotage yourself or your career by playing small in this world. You are a magnificent piece of God—ready for the world to see, hear, and know!


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.



No comments: