Thursday, July 4, 2013

Precious Little Control

Precious Little Control

Even the most OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) person will tell you, he can keep all his shirts pressed, color coded, and equidistant apart in his closet, but he can’t tell the sun to shine or dance for the rain to fall. In short, we have precious little control over the goings on in our lives.

What exactly do we have control of, and how can we take that precious control and make it calm our minds and hearts about the future?

Imagine that you look at life through the lens of a video camera. All that is going on is being played out as if on a movie screen in front of you. If you can imagine this scenario, then you know that the one person you don’t see on the screen is YOU! That is because you are the director of your life.

Now, let’s imagine that the show viewed in front of you is a baby playing with a toy on the living room carpet. If you took that scene and played a spooky, haunting music clip behind it, you might think that the baby is in impending danger. However, if you played “Music Box Dancer” behind it, then you may feel joyous.

In other words what is superimposed onto the scene in front of you comes from the director—You! If something tragic happens in your life, and the music that you play or the voice over is something positive and peaceful, such as: I’m not sure why this is happening, but I know I’ll be safe and provided for; then, you are more likely not to react frantically or irrationally.

I was driving home with my friend Sharon. She noticed that a car in front of me three different times had acted crazily. She said, “If that were me, I would have gotten upset and beeped my horn.”

I said, “Sharon, how much life do you want to lose over something you can’t control? I figure that I make driving errors all the time, and people have to put up with me. I’ll just let them slide and give them the benefit of the doubt. Besides, I can’t control what happens “to” me when I’m driving. I can only drive defensively and hope the rest of the world does too.”

She laughed. “Good point!”

Sharon gets that I don’t let much rattle me. I decided long ago that with my “precious little control” I was going to try to set the scene with peace and joy and laughter. That’s much more my style and befitting for the moment.

My dear Blog Readers, you can’t control the elements, the people around you, or God; so don’t waste your precious life and joy trying to.

If you are stuck in the middle of a tornado, duck into a bathtub. If you have a partner in relationship that is bugging you with some attitude or behavior that is irritating, then just simply ask him/her to stop. If your query is met with bitching and ranting, then move on. If you think you can tell God when you are going to die, you have not experienced much of life. Children, friends, and family die unexpectedly all the time. We have absolutely no control over it.

But what I learn each time death happens is that I have wasted way too much time trying to control what I can’t, and not doing what makes me happy. Use your precious control to change the one person that matters—YOU!


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.





* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: