Thursday, July 25, 2013

How Can You Believe that I Forgive You, If You Don't Forgive Yourself?

How Can You Believe that I Forgive You, If You Don’t Forgive Yourself?

Yesterday in yoga class, I introduced a few of my helpers in the front row. Alas, I forgot the name of one of my oldest yogis, who was also in my yoga DVD “Boga Fitness.”

I immediately tormented myself with thoughts like “I hope she will forgive me,” “I’m so bad with names,” “the rest of the class must think I’m an idiot.”

About two minutes into the barrage of mental vomit, I realized that I was actually beating myself up in the middle of trying to teach people to be at peace with themselves and with God. My initial thought was: How can I believe that God forgives me, if I can’t even forgive myself of something so miniscule?

What Actions Do You Take to Forgive Yourself:

I have struggled my entire life to be the best person, best friend, and best worker so that I would never be in the position to need forgiveness. The problem is that we are not perfect. We make mistakes that hurt others. So, forgiving yourself can be contingent upon how quickly you come to the table with an authentic apology and the realization of your own imperfection as a human being.

Yesterday, I was able to immediately say to Suzie that I was sorry for forgetting her name. I also explained to the class that she had been an integral part of my yoga DVD.

How Does it Feel to Forgive Yourself?

This was where I got stuck. Once I asked for forgiveness from my client, and she seemed kind enough to give it, I didn’t allow the feeling to stick to my soul. I condemned myself again, instead of releasing the bad residual effects.

My counter to the self-sabotage was to imagine that God’s abounding love was all around me, entering my body through the frontal cortex of my brain, at my forehead. I considered rationally that God’s sacrifice of Jesus was more than enough for the forgiveness of my small mistake. I imagined an overwhelming presence of love dissolving the condemning thoughts and washing away the feeling of condemnation. I allowed a lightness to happen in my heart and body.

Confession

Confessing our misdeed of any kind is the hardest for all of us, especially if you lean to perfectionism or narcissism or co-narcissism. I actually confessed to my class what was going on in my brain. I told them what had felt after forgetting her name and the thoughts that accompanied that mistake. I showed my class that teacher can struggle, which was important for them to hear. It also took me off any kind of a pedestal they may have unintentionally put me on.

Then I asked them to go with me to a place of complete forgiveness in meditation. We all went together on the pathway toward the light and true, authentic forgiveness. I asked each person to define a time in life when he/she felt a sense of not being able to forgive him/herself.

This communal effort was the perfect key to stop the rest of the struggle in my own soul, as we all reached forward into God’s perfect forgiveness together.

* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: