Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Phoenix


The Phoenix

Most humans learn the majority of their lessons from either personal or social relationships. When people get close to you, they force you to change in ways, sometimes, you rebel against and sometimes you relinquish your resistance and flow with the current. The death and rebirth of the phoenix can give us some insight into our changing beliefs.

I had always thought that the phoenix had to die before it could rise again. But apparently, by its definition in Wikipedia, I was completely wrong. The phoenix rises from the ashes of its predecessor. This would be more like the life of the Dalai Lama who is reborn when the last residing Dalai Lama passes away.

As with everything in my life, I think about the metaphor this serves in our daily lives. What exactly have we lain down in our relationships, and then picked back up to find it regenerated in a new liberated way of thought?

I remember a time when I thought that the only way someone should be intimate sexually is while in the bond of marriage. This was law to me as I had a traditional Christian background. (As always, I never judge anything or anybody by what he/she believes. If it suits you authentically, then you must be driven by your heart to do that very thing.)

In my early twenties I had a platonic girlfriend with whom I shared my feelings of love. She saw me as only a friend, but I saw her as my life partner. I also sincerely believed that God saw us as partners too. So, I spent almost two years trying to prove to her that we would be the right mates.

We were best friends, and I was extremely attracted to her. But the whole process of not being able to be intimate also fit into the idea of wrestling with my gay feelings. Then, I believed that being gay was a sin. I tried very hard to overcome the innate desires of being attracted to men. I felt that if I met a woman who felt the same about intimacy as I did, I had a great deal of time to court her without having to be afraid that sexuality would be a difficult hurtle to jump.

At long last, my gal friend went on tour with a bus and truck version of some Broadway musical. She met the stage manager, got engaged and eventually married. I have seen her a couple times since then, but I had long since dropped the idea that she was my mate. In fact, over the next few years I began to embrace who I was sexually and started to find a spiritual path that would accept me exactly as I was.

It took me many years to get over the idea that God didn’t hate me for being gay or being different than what society called normal. I have to admit, the day of liberation from those thoughts was the most freeing day of my life. To feel condemned by your sexual desire is one of the worst burdens any man or woman can carry, especially when it’s coupled with a spiritual believe that you are condemned to an eternal life of damnation.

So, laying that believe down to be regenerated was wonderful. Today I find that I have a similar belief about relationship and sexuality, though, that has risen out of this old belief. My belief in gay relationships, though most are not traditional in any sense of the word, is very monogamous. I also feel that it would be best for me to embrace love and sexuality as one unit. As you can see by my explanation of my belief, marriage is not in the quotient—mostly because it is illegal in my state. But, there is no denying that intimacy feels safest to me when I look at it with my regenerated belief of old. From the ashes of the Phoenix, I have built a new belief about relationships that works for me. I hold fast to it, though it is hard, as gay men tend to bend toward sexual intimacy far faster than our heterosexual counterparts.

How many beliefs in your life have gone through life’s threshing floor only to come out later on in your life as something new and regenerated? Take some time today to see if, perhaps, something you used to believe in still may have pertinence in your life if it were reframed and consistent with how you believe today. You may be surprised at what you revive from the ashes.


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211. 

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

No comments: