Friday, June 27, 2014

Eulogy to Nashville #Nashville #Nashvilleliving #death

Eulogy to Nashville
#Nashville #Nashvilleliving #death

“You would know the secret of death
But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life?

I imagine myself behind a pulpit, facing a crowd of my dear, friends. Next to me, in a casket, is every memory about Nashville—good and bad. I begin to speak, my throat scratchy and my body ill at ease:

“When we came together, I thought she would never part, like soul mates. As it turns out, I’m the one who must say goodbye today. My heart breaks. My palms sweaty. My disposition, in a state of flux.

“I look out at all of you and see your heart-love surging toward me, hoping your compassionate gazes will help me find the words to speak. But, still, I find myself lost and without.

“We met because of a career move then fell in love. Not with the curves of your hills, at first, but with the humanity I faced daily. But, then, even your mountains and beautiful architecture found me; captured me, and kept me in your warm embrace for twenty-five, glorious years. You invited me in like an old friend. Now, I must say goodbye, and the words to describe the feeling in my heart are unspeakable—yet, I try.

“From the bowels of your warm southern nature to the influx of multi-cultured races, I began to see a city blooming with diversity. The state would stay still in its beliefs, but this thriving, centered city would change with the world. I so loved you for that.
“But, more important than all, I will always remember how you fed me and led me to the most amazing friends I would ever have. You kept me solid, authentic, and true to all that I pursued. When I would find myself going in the wrong direction, you would gently guide me back to wholeness.

“Lastly, my friends and surrogate family, I need you to know that, though I will miss the landscape from which we birthed our love, I will never forget, nor lose touch. Technology has made missing you so easy to bear. I will love you from afar, see and feel your timelines of successes, and know your heart’s longings. I will miss you, Nashville.

“With love, Bo.”

No comments: