Monday, November 5, 2012

Is God the Judge in the Sky


Is God the Judge in the Sky?

Almost my entire childhood, I was taught that God was watching every move I made. He was keeping a record of all the bad and all the good. One day, after I die, I would be held accountable for all that I did. My place in heaven would be dependent upon how I acted here on earth.

That was my basic concept of God for many years. I feared God. I imagined God to be the voice of Supreme Judgment. I felt condemned even thinking wrong thoughts.

But do we have any proof that this avenging God is truly the God who created the earth and universe? Do we trust that the Christian bible, the Jewish Bible, the Koran, and the teachings of Buddha are actually portraying a God that is correct? Or are we anthropomorphizing God (giving God human attributes), because we don’t know how to define God’s supreme existence?

I would likely think that God is so much more than the any scripture can proclaim. I would, as the lyrics of the song “The Color Purple” suggests like to think that God is:

LIKE A BLADE OF CORN,
LIKE A HONEYBEE,
LIKE A WATERFALL,
ALL A PART OF ME.
LIKE THE COLOR PURPLE, (that God is all of these and so much more).

If we are put here on this earth to learn the difference between good and evil, as most scriptures would suggest, then we would actually have to experience both good and evil to tell the difference. Yes? So, sin (or missing the mark) is part of the human experience.

Jesus takes great care in calling God, Father. I believe this, because since there was no earthly way to explain God, Jesus used a way to anthropomorphize God that suggested that God is our daddy. He wants to give us the kingdom. We are his children.

Just like with any parent, there are times of learning and times of reform. But when we get of a certain age, the law passes away and we get to choose for ourselves what is right and wrong, whether our parents would think it is correct. That’s why we get to eventually get to leave the front fence and cross the road. That’s why we go to school to learn. That’s why we have responsibilities and learn about becoming adults. So, that’s we eventually move away from our parents and become adults who make our own decisions.

So, if the metaphor is correct from Jesus, then there is a time when we become adult children of Daddy God and get to experience for ourselves what it feels like to be the sons and daughters of the King…

(To Read the rest of this Blog, please click on this link. I appreciate you helping me out with this new format. The objective is to get people to the actual blog site and hopefully get you signed up for blog emails, trackbacks, comments, and truly get you involved in life change. Of course, you don’t have to do that to just read the blog. But my hope is some of you will step forward and begin to take part. www.blog2grow4spirit.com )

No comments: