Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Attention Artists and Writers: Platform, Platform, Platform


Attention Artists of All Kind—Platform, Platform, Platform!

A platform in public relations is your ability to attract an audience. I worked in PR for a year at a large publishing company. Most books were ghostwritten for people who had huge platforms but didn’t know how to write. So, publishing companies could monopolize on the public relationships of that person with a large platform, such as a well-known televangelist, because millions of people would see that person each day or each week on a television show. Each time that person is seen, there is an opportunity to sell a book.  A company such as Thomas Nelson, who used to be known for publishing just bibles, now makes a vast majority of its money on these televangelists.

In this world of business, to write a book or be an recording artist, you either have to be out every weekend pedaling your wears on a tour bus and have no life of your own, or you have to have a life that is absurd enough for a television crew to follow you around night and day to film, like the Kardashians. Either way will get you enough fame for a good platform. Of course, you have to have something that someone wants to watch or listen to (notice clearly that I’m not saying that you have to have talent).

Honestly, neither of these types of platforms interests me. I want to be led by God and God alone. I know that makes no sense in the business world, but that’s me. If my way of thinking makes me enough money to be comfortable and happy, that will satisfy me for the rest of my life. I only want a big book deal or recording contract now if that is the will of Spirit. That being said, I guess this is the reason why I blog every day for free. This way I have nobody pushing me to be inspired and no one telling me to increase my damn platform by taking off my shirt and undies on public tv—which right now I …

(To Read the rest of this Blog, please click on the link below. Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and LifeCoach, available for private sessions to Quit Smoking, Lose Weight with the new Lap Band-Hypnosis, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334.  www.blog2grow4spirit.com )


No comments: