Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tripping on Duality


Tripping on Duality

I think myself an authentic man with wise principals, but often I fall short of them. Sometimes I get stuck between two opposing truths, equally strong, and I can’t decide what is right or wrong.

For instance, I know someone I love has a cheating partner. Do I tell my dear friend and risk getting involved where I’m not intended to be? Or do I go to the cheating partner and bare my heart? Or do I simply shut my mouth and do nothing?

Another for instance: I meet a very nice person and want to get to know him. The relationship is young—two or three dates. At almost the same time I meet the first individual, I meet someone else who is equally intriguing and nice. I decided to get to know them simultaneously, because I operate on the idea that I have made no commitment to either, nor am I involved enough to make a clear decision which, if either, is a good match.

I decide to date them both. Coincidentally or by Divine Intent, they both end up at the same small dinner party of 10. What is the lesson I’m to learn here?

I explained the situation to a dear friend before I was faced with a harsh reality of the two worlds colliding. His sage advice was to tell the truth to both of them. At the same lunch, two other friends disagreed. They suggested that neither of the guys I was dating know each other and that it would be in my best interest to protect my own heart by investigating both possibilities, not considering theirs.

But then there is the terrible uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach that I have done something terribly wrong. I’m not on this earth to “play” people and treat them as pawns. I wonder about the entire dating process now. Can we intentionally take one person seriously if we are halfway involved with another? What is this, “The Bachelor?”

Dating is a strange and peculiar paradigm, especially at an old age, when the last thing you want to bring into your life is drama. I went to see the musical “Baby” last night. In one scene a young woman struggles to get pregnant with her husband, whose sperm isn’t working really well. They get exhausted by the ritualistic sex they must have to bare a child and lose any sense of intimacy in their relationship. The woman finds herself singing, “I have to feel. I can’t just breed…. I simply need... romance. The one thing in life which is simply worth living.”

Dating, some believe, is a ploy to make the planet populated. We desire each other to keep the population growing. That is why these feelings are in our hearts to be dating and falling in love. It’s in our human DNA. Yet, our hearts get entangled in webs of desire and needs. We lose sight of the idea that maybe, just maybe, there is a higher purpose for our lives and for our relationships.




* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211. 

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

No comments: