Monday, March 25, 2013

The Way of the Cross - Part II: Resistance to Change


Release from Resistance to Change
I work with all sorts of different problems as a life coach and clinical hypnotist. With this one specific man, we were dealing with relationship issues. He was having trouble committing.
One balmy week in summer my client told me his mother was in town for a visit, and I gently suggested that she come in with him for his next session.  He didn’t think it was a problem, so we invited her.  Holy mother of God… was I in for a treat.
This particular man had trouble with monogamy. So, he invites his mother into the conversation by asking her in his NY Italian accent, “Ma, did you think that you could be monogamous to Dad when you married to him?”
She appeared to be a little reserved, sitting right at the edge of the couch beside him.  She fidgeted her hands.  “We--- ye--- see— hmm-- Ah, no.”
Honestly, I was pleasantly shocked by her forthright answer.
The son goes on. “Well, Ma, when you married Harry, did you think you could be monogamous then?”
She looked at me, then at him. “Mhhh, no!”
“How about Sherwood?” my client asks, now incredulous.
His mother moved so close to the front of the couch that I thought she was going to fall off. “Well, honey, maybe.”
Being the good life coach, I smile at his mother without judgment, then quickly focus on my client: “So, tell me, Dick, how does that make you feel?”
Richard is just about to launch into a diatribe about finally understanding why he was never able to be faithful to any of his partners, then looks at his mother and says, “Ma, You don’t understanding the definition of monogamy, do you?”
She says after a very long pause and a puzzled face, “Ah, no.”
Understanding what change is and allowing Spirit to help you define it for your life?
If you don’t understand how to add and subtract, you can’t expect to balance your checkbook. So, you’ve got to understand the tools of change, before you can expect effective results.
Change becomes much easier when you awaken each day believing that the now is all good. Everything is in its perfect place in time, even the tragedies.   Yes, even the tragedies.
In the fifth chapter of the Christian gospel according to Matthew, Jesus gives us some finer understanding of the meaning of change. This is what he says in 5th Chapter of Matthew in the Beatitudes, from the translation, The Message:
 “You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With Less of you, there is more of God…”
You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you;
If this is true, then I am led to believe that Jesus was saying that all things are in divine order, and letting go of what we believe to be the end result is the key.  All that you think, all that you experience, all that you are is not just an accident. And the tools of change are right within your grasp. The tools are everything that you are grappling with today. It’s every problem at work or in your relationships. But, you just have to acknowledge it and allow spirit to further define how to deal with each problem.
With a deeper look you may just discover that what you see around you is drawing you into the most effective change your soul needs at this very moment… to be happy.
Last night, there was a bad wind storm, perhaps a tornado. My mother and I were sitting in our living room watching television. Suddenly, without any warning or provocation, we heard what sounded like a freight train heading toward our window.
The wind picked up the roof on my carport and storage shed and literally ripped it right off the house. Scared the beJesus out of me. The lights went out. We were in the dark wondering what to do next and how to proceed.
Life happens in a second. You have to not only be prepared for change, but expect it at every moment. I got on the phone called a couple friends for advice. Then immediately moved toward repairing the damage and rebuilding my life.
The truth, what other choice do we have. At second look the next day, I guess my house could use a new carport paid for by my insurance. Let’s hope they think so.
Say a prayer for me.

No comments: