Sunday, March 24, 2013

Preparing for the Cross (the Pathway to Change)—Part One


I sometimes search outward for things that qualify me as a person. But, I always go inward for that which quantifies me for greatness.

As human beings we are ever evolving from the time we are conceived, until the time our spirit leaves the body in death. Sometimes there is growth, and sometimes decline. But one thing is absolutely certain, change is always happening.

Because we are spirit living in human flesh, that which is unchangeable by my definition—Spirit—is forced to enter on a pathway of time where change is not only necessary but inevitable. This is where the strange dichotomy of life begins and why we as spiritual beings are so resistant to change: Because by divine nature we were not meant to change. But on our human path, we are forced to.

The creation of something new from the change or metamorphosis of something already existing is as old as time. When leaves from deciduous trees fall to the ground, they make mulch and fertilize the ground for the next year.  Coal is pressurized over thousands of years to make diamonds.  The irritant, a grain of sand in an oyster changes to a beautiful pearl. Existing water from floods and swamps evaporate to form clouds, which eventually produce rain, which make crops grow, then feed the world.  So, also from the sometimes-battered wreckage of our past, something new and wonderful is being created right now in the world, in you… in me.

Step One: Recognize That Change is Inevitable

Have you ever heard that saying, “I’m like a picture, developing from the negative”?  The truth of this statement in your life is the genesis of our journey together toward effective and necessary change.

I wish for you to experience joy daily.  But I don’t think joy can be experienced while a person is resistant to change, because change is always present and always knocking on our door, every moment, every second of every day. Not one moment in time exists without the next moment in time forcing it to become history. Change, therefore is inevitable, it is an integral part of life. 

Sometimes when I receive a phone call from one of my crazy friends, and I know by the Caller ID who it is, I’ll answer the phone: “This is the Betty Ford Center for Inevitable Change! May I help you become less of what you want to be and more of what I want you to be?”

If you’re one of my close friends, you’d probably expect that I would lead with something pithy or smart ass. The truth, though, I truly feel like my life… our lives… are here on this earth for an evolution of sorts, which definitely involves change.
You can be one of those people who:
Ø gets coerced into change by harsh life experiences,
Ø one of those people who has drama all around pushing you to change,
Ø one of those people who has a huge, catastrophic life experience that forces you to change, or
Ø you can be open to change daily, and ultimately be happy about your path to the cross, which I think metaphorically is the death of something that no longer serves you, making room for the grand newness to follow.

Personally, I prefer the latter.  I don’t like to fight. Never have. I’m certainly not about fighting an unproductive battle against reality. Which one of us can plan what truly happens today and know with certainty our plans will happen exactly as we intended?

I can think of many things that look negative on the surface, but hiding beneath the surface is something new and wonderful.  I remember one specific instance, an impending operation. I knew that I needed an operation on my foot. It was a simple procedure, but there was pain involved to get to the place where I would be feeling better. I didn’t want the pain. In fact, after having had the surgery, had I known how much pain I would have been in, I may have opted not to have the optional surgery. However, now that I am healed of the pain, I am now thankful that I went through the misery of the operation to take care of my discomfort in my foot. I’m sure you can think of hundreds of things you have done in your life that on the surface, you may not have done again, but as a result, you benefitted.

I look forward to you sharing this series on change and the way of the cross. Part two will follow tomorrow.

* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211. 

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

No comments: