Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Domani


A Domani

Have you been putting off till tomorrow what you need to do today? The Italian phrase “a domani” means idiomatically, until tomorrow or see you tomorrow. For some reason I have had a great many people coming to me with the issue of putting off the inevitable until tomorrow, the next day, the next year, the next ten years.

I was speaking to a close friend tonight. We shared about relationships. I told her when I resolved my anxious attachment issue with my mother, that it seemed my relationships started to become a lot shorter. She asked me why. I took a long hard look at it. I guess the reason is that I believed before my understanding about my mother that in my anxiousness to attach, that I should hold on to relationships that weren’t working harder. Now when relationships aren’t working, I simply let go.

Perhaps, I just haven’t found the right person yet in my healthy space, who is also healthy. I may never find that person, and I should be okay with that. It makes me a little sad to think about that possibility, but it is a truth that could come to pass.

Most people would think that my clients described in the first paragraph would be not doing things like projects, work, writing that novel, quitting a habit. But that isn’t the case. These clients are avoiding the bigger issues. They are avoiding what I had been avoiding when I broke up with a partner of three years. I called my mother and asked if I could come over and be with her because I was sad. She had just moved to Nashville then. This was about eight years ago.

When I arrived at her apartment, she sat on the couch with her arms open. I rested in her lap and fell asleep. During my dream, I felt a quiet assurance that Rob wasn’t the person I was crying over. In fact, none of the people I had broken up with in my past were really an issue at this point. The problem was the person comforting me. My mother had left my father when I was in third grade. If you’ve been keeping up with my blog, you know some of this story. I didn’t see her again until eleventh grade.

The abandonment and the anxiousness in relationship I continued to feel was from PTSD from my mother leaving when I was a child. What I discovered that day was the relationship I needed to work on was my parental one with my mother.

Mom and I had always gotten along. We never fought or had any disagreements. Since we returned to communicating and my dad was the bad guy, my mom was kind of like my hero. But I remember clearly the day my therapist pointed out to me in a strong, matter-of-fact tone, “Why do you not hold your mother to blame for any of your anger? She is the one who left you with an alcoholic, abusive father.”

I never was really able to answer that question, because I experienced what my mother felt about my father. I wanted to leave him too. Had I had the courage and the strength, I would have. Had he not stopped her from getting the children back, we would have been with my mother. But Dad was stronger than Mom was politically and had more money. Mom lost her children and had to wait until we were grown enough to realize she wasn’t the bad one in the relationship.

However, that doesn’t change the PTSD I had from losing the only mother who truly loved and protected me as a child. So, when my sister who took care of my mother for 20 years moved back to Arizona, my mother asked me if she could move in with me. It was then I knew that God had provided me with the perfect opportunity to work out every issue Mom and I had together.

My theory was right. But what is even more interesting is that my choice to let this move happen has also provided a pathway for my mother to have healing as well. I love watching her change and evolve and stick up for me with words like, “I love my son more than life. His friends are my friends. I have never met a gay person I didn’t like. My son saved my life. I would be dead if it weren’t for him.”

My mother is in so many ways still my hero. At almost 81 she still tries her best to learn and to make change, despite a life full of so many things that could have stopped her from making the best choices. Sometimes I think she is making these hard changes for me.

I walk into the living room and find her on the sit-up machine and bouncing on the fitness ball and almost break into tears. Of course, I never show it. When she moved in with me she was 40 pounds overweight, her blood sugars were in the 300-400s, and she had heart problems. She is now at a good weight, managing her sugars so much so that she is taking the smallest amount of insulin one can take. Most of her doctors tell her to come back in a year. At her age, that is monumental. And still, on her low income, she tries to save $50 a month in her Christmas club to get gifts for the family. All of it kind of amazes me.

So, “a domani” to Mom means a lot more than it means to me. Tomorrow and the next day seem a lot closer to the end as you get older, and I guess that makes for clearer and better decisions. I can see that happening in my life too, even though I’m not quite that old.


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211. 

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

No comments: