Thursday, February 19, 2015

A Good Argument #onlinearguments #debates

When I was a child my parents argued incessantly. Every night after my brother, four sisters, and I would hit the sack the deluge of hate hit the fan. I remember thinking; I will never argue when I get older. In fact, I was well into my third relationship before I ever got angry enough to fight back, and that came only as a result of near abusive behavior. I say all of this because I have never really understood the art of argument. Are we actually trying to convince others to believe the way we do? Or are we clarifying our own beliefs?

Yesterday, I shared a poignant, but funny story about gay rights that Jon Stewart said on his television show on my Facebook page. Personally, I find Jon funny and generally on the side of human rights. However, one of my Facebook followers did not like the comment and was very verbose about it. One of my other dear friends must have felt the need to kick his ass, because she laid into him with a storm of triumphant, well thought-out facts that should have shut him up. However, he didn’t want to be wrong. He couldn’t be wrong, it seemed. So, I thought, my assumption about arguments was correct.

This morning and deep into the night, my mind wandered into the ethers and imagined a world without arguments and opinions. I didn’t like that world at all. One great asset about living in America is that we have the right to fight for what we believe, stand strong, protest, and even change laws and statutes that are unfair.

The personal fear about arguing has some PTSD attached to it. I remember one night after my father argued with my mother, he said, “I’m going to go shoot myself!” Minutes later, I heard him descend into the basement and then—a horrifying gunshot blasted through the house. Silence lingered for what seemed like forever, before my mother and my eldest brother went to investigate. My father didn’t kill himself, but he did shoot a hole into the basement wall, which he denied doing his entire life, leaving me to believe I had made up the story in my mind.

So, you can see why I don’t like arguing. However, I have learned that a debate with proper and safe boundaries is a good thing when I need to voice my opinion and share my deepest beliefs to someone who doesn’t share mine. I realize, however, proceeding into any dispute that my goal is simply to be heard. I never try to convince someone of any fact that I believe. When we go beyond expressing our authentic self to expect someone to see our rational, we miss the point of a good argument. The next time you find yourself debating an issue, think this thought: All I choose to do here is speak my truth! Then, let your passion flow! The only time I have ever seen someone change his/her mind about anything is when the opinion shared was heartfelt and nonargumentative.
Picture of Learning AloneCookbook CoverMeditation Photo

A Cookbook, a Novel, a Self-Help Book, a Yoga DVD! All great gifts from your friend—Bo Sebastian. Simply go to this link at www.Amazon.com or type in my name. Find great gifts for yourself, family members, and friends by supporting another friend in the process! Thank you.
* * *
 Beautiful Bird
A Single Session w/Bo Sebastian
What would you feel like if everyday you loved yourself a little more…
What would you be if you loved and gave compassion unconditionally… to yourself first and then to others?
If you could imagine yourself so connected to God Source that everything you thought and every action you completed you trusted could heal yourself and, ultimately the world around you?
Create a Better Life with One Healing Session with Bo Sebastian
Call 954-253-6493 (All Sessions are done via SKYPE or FACETIME.)
www.bosebastian.com

If you are a gay man or woman, you may want to direct your gaze to my newest blog: Uncommon Gay Spiritual Warrior. This blog is an extension of my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/UncommonGaySpiritualWarrior/) and group meetings about the rare combination of spirituality and "being gay" defines the most important part of us, even in relationship. Join me at: http://uncommongayspiritualwarrior.blogspot.com/. 
Bo works with people on SKYPE and FaceTime all over the world. He is taking new clients now. Call 954-253-6493 for information.

Take the time to look at Bo’s bookshelf of self-help books, novels, healing downloads, and yoga DVD. All of Bo’s books help people such as you, make SIGNIFICANT CHANGE with habits, find your SOULMATE, your PASSION, reach YOUR DREAMS, and dictate your own FUTURE.

Chosen to show his new hypnotherapeutic techniques on The Learning Channel (TLC) and also given the opportunity to teach at the world conference for Learning, and received the award of excellence for Helping Overcome Obesity in Nashville, Bo Sebastian is the writer and director of Finding Authentic You and Uncommon Gay Spiritual WarriorGo directly to Amazon/Amazon Kindle to buy any of his wonderfully inspired books: ]
 
 

No comments: