Sunday, October 6, 2013

Relating Illness and Relationship

Relating Illness and Relationship

For the last few days I have been helping my mother recover from a stomach virus that started vehemently and ended rather quietly in the middle of the night. I camped out by her side and got up whenever I heard her grab the garbage can by her bed. She hadn’t been this weak since she was in the hospital for a triple bypass.

What is the difference between listening to your body and having to deal with the reactions of the body post not listening? When you don’t listen in any relationship, you usually end up, first, with misunderstanding. Eventually, if you keep avoiding communication you lose an integral part of the relationship called trust. When that happens, the relationship begins to unravel or move away from your life in, sometimes, harsh ways.

I believe the body acts in the same way as a person in relationship when you don’t listen to it. The body starts off whispering its needs. When the needs are not met, it begins to talk a little louder—small pains, nausea, no energy.

When you have not listened to the body after this amount of communication, the body begins to scream. This is when you feel heart attacks, the body shuts down, parts of your body have to be removed.

The body will treat you like divorce if you don’t listen, as in relationship. “If you can’t take care of me, I will find someone else to take care of me (doctors or hospitals) or leave you (parts of the body, such as organs and cancers, having to be removed),” is the basic message.

Soon after my mother recovered, I got the same illness. Sickness didn’t affect me as it did her. I had to get very quiet and sleep a lot, but I never had the same reactions as my mother did. I felt pain in my stomach, I felt on the verge of illness, but never had the full reaction as she did. Still, as I listened to my body, I heard that I simply needed to be still and rest. As I did what my body asked, I never really had the turbulent reaction. However, I did have a few severe moments of dizziness. When that happened, I simply got quiet again.

The flu is going around these days. A great deal of my friends and clients have contracted it. I’m sure I was just in the way of some transient microbes wanting to find rest in a warm human body. I didn’t consider this an affront to my luck or my general health. I simply dealt with the present. Some moments were quite nice, as I spent a great deal of time in meditation and contemplation.

I also ended up having a few wonderful moments of intimacy with my partner, as he sat quietly with me sharing a bit of our lives we had never talked about before. Had I not listened, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to grow, nor would I have had the moments of depth in relationship we all yearn for.

Go to Home Page: www.BoSebastian.com


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com. Please feel free to comment and/or sign up to receive your blog sent to you directly or stream with an RSS Feed.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day.  I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

Also, be looking for “Finding Authentic You, 7 Steps to Effective Change” with a Year to CLEAR (C-larity, L-ove, E-nthusiasm A-nd R-elationship-Ready) in Early 2014. Thanks!


No comments: