Monday, October 7, 2013

Bhagavad Gita—Your Religious Right!

Bhagavad Gita—Your Religious Right!

The Bhagavad Gita, often considered the Hindu bible, is actually a poem composed between the 2nd century BC and the 2nd century AD. It presents as a dialogue between the warrior prince Arjuna and his divine charioteer Krishna. It stresses the importance of doing one’s duty and faith in God.

As a young Christian adult, I was taught to stay away from books such as these, because they were inspired by Satan. As I saw what Ralph Waldo Emerson, one of my favorite writers, says of the Gita, I wondered about the influence of my judgmental past: “It was the first of books. It was as if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent. The voice of an old intelligence, which in another age and climate had pondered, and thus disposed of the same questions that exercise us.”

Henry David Thoreau wrote a quote of the Gita, as well: In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal… in comparison with which our modern world and its literature seem puny and trivial.”

So, as I had seen that Thoreau and Emerson thought this a worthy piece of divine literature, I began to immerse myself in some of its pages. Though rife with terms and names unpronounceable to my western lips, I find strings of hopeful messages, especially connected to the ancient yoga practice that has changed my way of life.

Today I read from Chapter 3, Text 1 on Karma-Yoga. Karma-yoga is one of the four paths of realization. It is, in its very basic form, putting your spirit self in action! In other words, finding good works for your soul. Karma-yoga can be something as simple as going behind your entire yoga class and cleaning up the mats and blankets—refolding and straightening in a meticulous manner. It could be getting the mail for an elderly couple next door, or pulling the garbage out to the street for a physically challenged adult.

Yesterday, I talked about listening to your body. What of your soul? Does your soul and mind thirst for knowledge of a new kind? Can you find that knowledge in the source that, perhaps, wounded you as a child? I am letting go of what I was taught by people and priests and teachers. I want to let Spirit guide my soul to divinity, wherever that may take me.

I do recognize, however, that this soul search has sometimes taken me to hell and back, but as Jesus also visited hell before the ascension, I feel in good company.  I haven’t as yet said that I am not a Christian, but when compared with the bias and fractious Christian communities around me, I am certainly not that or want to be that. I desire to find a home in perfect peace and God love. Meditation has definitely precluded all of my studies. But in the quietness of divine love, I have been led to study many different scriptures and books of wisdom.

In everything that I read, I throw away that which doesn’t serve me and take to heart that which moves me forward. I would suggest the same for anyone on a spiritual path.


Go to Home Page: www.BoSebastian.com


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com. Please feel free to comment and/or sign up to receive your blog sent to you directly or stream with an RSS Feed.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day.  I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

Also, be looking for “Finding Authentic You, 7 Steps to Effective Change” with a Year to CLEAR (C-larity, L-ove, E-nthusiasm A-nd R-elationship-Ready) in Early 2014. Thanks!


No comments: