Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Old Age Approaching Quickly

Old Age Approaching Quickly

I began the celebration of my birthday by getting a facial that practically burnt off all my old skin. My face looks 40 right now, but the cramp in my leg, an ache in my back, and getting out of bed feels all of 53.

Yet, I wouldn’t go back to being young unless I could carry all my wisdom backward with me. Even then, no one takes youth very seriously. Professionalism accompanies age, like the clear sound of opportunity at every corner, if you’ve been wise with your gifts.

I look around at my home, my car, my things, and my gardens and think, I like what I have gathered. Each bauble reminds me of someone or something precious. The rest I have had to let go of.

I remember the first time I bought a brand new car. Every day I would worry about nicks and scratches. When I got my current car, I felt as if I wanted to put a scratch directly on it, so that I would be reminded not to be so careful. I find it hard to enjoy the things in life we try to protect from change. I owned a Faberge egg once. I kept it in the original gold box until I ended up selling it.

Fortunately, as humans age, we gather worth. I know who I am and don’t have to fight to accept myself. I enjoy the pleasures of having credit, AARP, and a home closer to reverse mortgage. Attributes that I have built from youth are now paying off in the end, as I retire into years that ought to be more peaceful and full of love. Age comes with its benefits, most days.

“No more struggle,” is my motto, and “make laws against regrets!”

I have a few friends, older than I, who feel as if they are going in the wrong direction. They have struggle with finance, relationship, and their health isn’t so great. I wonder in despair how life could be so cruel to them. Do we not deserve to quietly depart as we have weathered many storms? Who would deny the elderly health and all that they would need to live at peace? Yet, the story of the world doesn’t reflect this at all.

I have an elderly neighbor who is failing rapidly. She is the sweetest lady, lives alone, and recently had to let go of her precious puppy dog because she was too frail to care for him. She has two children nearby. Why would they take away the little joy she has at the end? Are we not caring for our elderly because we’re too selfish and don’t have time? Something feels amiss.

I guess it’s a little easier for me to understand the premise of taking care of our elderly because I take care of my 81-year-old mom. Yes, it’s not easy sometimes. She can be cantankerous and annoying. But she also loves me more than any human being could. She is helpful when she has the strength, and in turn, feels as if her opinion counts more than anyone else’s. But you have to love her moxie.

Most of my friends think she is wonderful and see our relationship as something special. After being without her most of my childhood, it has become a blessing to make amends for the past as we get older together and plant the seeds of love that youth lacked. It’s never too late to mend the fences from times gone by. I’ve seen this gift in both my father’s and my mother’s latter years. I’m glad I’ve had the chance with each to re-establish a healthy relationship.

Friends have asked me what I want for my birthday. None of them can afford the new Lexus convertible I lust for, so I’ll be happy with them to just gather around me and say a prayer for peace—not just for me—but for the world.

* * *
Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com. Please feel free to comment and/or sign up to receive your blog sent to you directly or stream with an RSS Feed.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: