Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Celebrating a New You

Celebrating a New You

There comes a time in our lives that we have to stop looking behind rocks and digging up graves for answers. We must look for change within ourselves instead of trying to point fingers and blaming those around us for how we turned out. The truth is that we must use all of what we have been and are now every day and honor the past to go on happily with our lives.

I went back to my hometown last weekend for a family and a class reunion. Much of what I discovered in the sparsely populated town was a wasteland. When I got back to the hotel room, I felt like I could drown in my own tears. So many emotions came up from the past. I saw my father closing my hand in the car door and yelling at me, instead of tending to my wound. I heard voices of him yelling, my mother leaving me, and my brother sexually abusing me.

But I also saw an old house taken over by a young couple with children. They had given the home a facelift and added a wooden train and swings for the children in the backyard. Yet, nothing could mask the old pain that seemed to emanate from the surroundings.

The neighborhood had changed. What I saw wasn’t reality. The past warped what I saw with my human eyes. The past morphed my vision by taking me back to old pain and sorrow, things I can’t change now.

So, I cried about it and meditated. When I got quiet, I simply asked God to help me understand why I had come back like a dog returning to his vomit. I also asked that I could bury the past once and for all.

That moment helped me change my sorrow into a grief that was like visiting a gravesite. I knew the person I had been wasn’t actually present in the grave, but yet I could honor the passing of those times and that old person everyone called Bobby.

I came back to Nashville and was in a funk for about a week. I sat with my feelings for a while and realized that this ritual I had gone through was necessary to bury the past. I needed to go to the grave and visit my past to actually see that what was no longer existed. My past had been buried beneath a new neighborhood, a new town, and new people thriving off of the old space.

As I lift my head now and am thankful for all that I had been, I realize that nothing I have in the present, none of the knowledge I possess, and none of what I believe to be true and amazing would be possible without every aspect of my past.

It is time to let it go, to bury it, to honor it, and once and for all turn away from all the causes of who I am. As I do so, I am able to look at the wonderful creation God has made and realize that every choice and every turn has been perfectly crafted to help me be the person I am today. Without it, there would be no blog, there would be no books to write, there would be no protagonist and antagonist to make the stories three dimensional and drive others to change.

Celebrate your new life today. Put aside all that made you who you are. Walk forward into your new life now.


* * *
Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com. FOR COMMENTS: Go to the Bo Sebastian link under the title and there is a place there to create a comment. Thanks.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: