Friday, September 20, 2013

Love Is the Only Non-Illusion

Love Is the Only Non-Illusion

A Course in Miracles, transcribed by Helen Schucman, begins with the words:

“Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.”

Everyone sees through the eyes of their own body. No two people see from the same perspective. Together we may look at a painting. I may see an angel. You may see a terrible person who abused you as a teenager. The only thing that separates these two opinions is our Ego, or the voice of the human body.

This voice of the ego has been trained and programmed as a computer was. We had no choice in the programmer or any choice in what attached us to all of our anxieties, loves, truths, and stresses. All of those choices were imposed upon us.

So, seeing through the eyes of our own humanness can be tricky. Are you really seeing that chair? Are you really angry with me? Do you really love me—or are we merely wound mates?

When I first read the Course, I thought it was completely unique and wonderful. After a few years of study, I realized that this was just one avenue to spiritual growth, and I was glad I had spent the time learning about it.

One thing you learn in ACIM (A Course in Miracles) is that the ego creates illusion in the world. But the only thing that isn’t an illusion is love. Of course, you would have to have a true definition of love to make sure we are all on the same page. Let’s go back to ACIM for an explanation:

“You do not know the meaning of love, and that is your handicap,” (T-12, V. 6:1)
says Jesus, the acclaimed true author of the book, which had been channeled or transcribed, not authored, according to Schucman.

So, the same text that tells us that the only thing that is real is love, also tells us that we have no earthly way of understanding God’s love—that’s how big it is!

I can actually get behind that phrase. Even when I pray and wonder about Spirit and God, I can’t define it in my own mind. If I try to, I get baffled and begin anthropomorphizing God and setting up a human paradigm for what could only be spiritual.

The best experience I have of love is when profound relationship changes me and lifts me up out of my humanness. A mother’s love—her feelings of love for a child, not necessarily her human actions—are a close example. I also have seen love from the pure, unblemished joy of a pet or the beauty in a flower. Love tends to strike me as a profound experience that always changes me for the better.

This would then include times when love had led me to hard changes, when I awoke out of vast delusion into truth. So, the experience of love can also be a difficult one.

I believe God meant intimate relationships for our biggest spiritual growth, because they tend to mirror that which can’t be spoken in human words. If you think about a person you love, you know that hardship, confusion, and some misunderstanding accompany all forms of joyous relationships, especially the intimate ones. But where would be without that close connection and the ones who absolutely know all of our deepest truths?

So, if love is not an illusion, I desire to experience Love in every way today. That’s my affirmation. To do that, I must open my heart to the indescribable, unfathomable, uncontainable, unlimited Spirit of God.



* * *
Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com. Please feel free to comment and/or sign up to receive your blog sent to you directly or stream with an RSS Feed.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: