Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Rain in Spain Created My Arthritic Pain

The Rain in Spain Created My Arthritic Pain

As I awoke this morning, I knew it had rained last night. I had a mild headache and arthritic pain. I went through my daily routine when I have these symptoms. I drank a couple sips of coffee, took two Tramadol, and stretched. Then I lay back down and do some breathing and EMDR exercises to lower the firing of the propioceptors in the brain, which cause less pain in my body and force me to breathe and focus on God and good. All this put me back on track.

How did I come to such a predictable place of pain after rain, I can only say is weather related. I looked for evidence on the Internet to confirm my belief, because so many of my pain-related clients come to me saying the same thing: “When the weather is cold, rainy, or overcast, my body feels like “@&%&!”

Here’s the only thing I found in Medical News Today:

“One theory holds that a drop in air pressure (which often accompanies cold, rainy weather) allows tissues in the body to expand to fill the space, meaning that already inflamed tissue can swell even more and cause increased arthritis pain. Other possibilities: Pain thresholds drop in colder weather; cold, rainy days affect mood; and during colder weather people are less likely to be outside and get the exercise that normally helps keep arthritis pain in check.”

Though the arthritis itself isn’t affected by the rain or barometric pressure, the symptoms exacerbate by the swelling of the joints. I know, too, that swelling of joints also cause histamine production in the body.

Wikipedia says:

Histamine is an organic nitrogen compound involved in local immune responses as well as regulating physiological function in the gut and acting as a neurotransmitter.[2] Histamine triggers the inflammatory response. As part of an immune response to foreign pathogens, histamine is produced by basophils and by mast cells found in nearby connective tissues. Histamine increases the permeability of the capillaries to white blood cells and some proteins, to allow them to engage pathogens in the infected tissues.[3]

All that means to me is that when the barometer goes up, you may feel swelling in the joints and mucous forming in your nose, if you are susceptible. Anti-histamines really don’t help too much, because they unnaturally dry the body. Again, Wikipedia helps me explain:

Histamines produce increased vascular permeability, causing fluid to escape from capillaries into tissues, which leads to the classic symptoms of an allergic reaction — a runny nose and watery eyes. Histamine also promotes angiogenesis.

Antihistamines suppress the histamine-induced wheal response (swelling) and flare response (vasodilation) by blocking the binding of histamine to its receptors on nerves, vascular smooth muscle, glandular cells, endothelium, and mast cells. They exert a competitive antagonism to histamines.

Itching and sneezing are suppressed by antihistamine blocking of H1-receptors on nasal sensory nerves. Antihistamines have also been used with great success in the treatment of Brown Recluse (genus Loxosceles) spider bites as well as other insect bites that cause necrosis.” Wikipedia

Yesterday I talked about finding the root of the symptom in my blog. I am a firm believer of getting to the problem. However, some physical conditions you really can’t control. I’m not God and have no control of the weather. I can’t seem to find a barometric chamber large enough to house my life, so I guess I’m stuck with dealing with the symptoms.

Over the course of my life, I have tried everything from yoga, vitamins, meds, and diet to control arthritic pain. I’ve come to realize, sometimes you inherit your parents’ genes and you have little to do but deal with your suffering. This was my case in the nutshell.

I had a religious belief for some time that I could bind the workings of pain or evil in my body and pray it away. After much frustration about that and praying away my gay desires, I left that course of religion and studied one that actually helped my life instead of frustrated me.

I don’t believe God wants us to be in pain or to struggle because we don’t fit into what is considered normal behavior. When I let God and my deepest soul open up to the possibility that Spirit would lead me to relief, I noticed that even accepting myself AS IS was a relief to my body. Maybe arthritis came from tightening my muscles for so long to fit in and pretend I’m someone I wasn’t. That could be as much a possibility as the weather causing me pain.

Either way, I’m ready and willing to make a positive shift to feel better every day, to accept authentic self, and live life with the intention that God is All in All.


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: