Friday, June 21, 2013

Letting Go

Letting Go

I sat at the movies watching “Silver Linings Playlist” and suddenly my heart began to pound out of my chest. I felt as if all the doors in the theater were being locked. I was transported back to a time in my life when my father was drunkenly beating up my brother to a pulp. I lay on the top bunk for a half of the scenario. Then I jumped out of bed and ran to the neighbor’s house for help.

I watched from an observer’s perspective as my entire body seized with pain and anxiety. I had to leave the theater or I would have curled up in a ball and cried like a baby. PTSD had hit me and hit me hard.

This, however, was the first time in my life I had really been able to watch what was happening. Maybe, because I understood what was going on, the experience hit me harder than I had ever remembered. I drove home, which I don’t recommend, and called a therapist friend as I drove (another bad decision). After fifteen minutes of talking me down from the bridge, I realized I was driving in the wrong direction. I had been disoriented enough that I didn’t even know where home was. I ended up 10 minutes from Columbia, going in the complete opposite direction.

Since then, I have had a few PTSD moments. A couple of them have happened during the night. A dream sparked some terrible anxiety in me. I had to get up, do some EMDR exercises and meditate before I was able to get back to sleep.

Can you release something that your body and mind doesn’t want to let go of? This is a question I have asked myself many times. I believe that whatever anxiety or stress is holding on like glue, will someday—with clear, empowered belief and therapy—will be released.

My point in all of this is that now I am seeing what is happening as it is happening. I had never understood why I would act out of character sometimes and get cold and withdrawn. Now, I’m perfectly aware—so, aware, that I can ask my partner to help me as these emotions are surfacing.

Great relationships are wonderful when someone is compassionate enough to help you work through some deep issues. I suspect that God intended for us to work out most of our deepest relationship issues with our life partner, because he or she understands us in a way no one else does or would care to.

If you deal with this kind of stronghold, I recommend starting with some therapy. Many practitioners of all kinds exist to help people with disabling problems. Choose the modality you feel is right for you by doing Google searches and seeing what therapy best suits your problem. For me, Hypnosis and EMDR, which are very similar modalities are the most effective when it comes to PTSD. In fact, a great deal of my family therapist and social worker therapists are using hypnotic techniques to uncover deeply seated fear and anxiety with Parts Therapy, breathing exercises, and Regression techniques, specifically developed all through hypnosis.

* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: