Sunday, June 2, 2013

Ganesha

Ganesha

Ganesha is one of the most widely known deity in the Hindu pantheon. Although he is known by many other attributes, his elephant head makes him easy to identify. Ganesha is known to remove obstacles and is a patron of the arts and sciences and a deva of intellect and wisdom.

I speak of this deity because I had a client recently who had grown up in a Southern Baptist family. When asked what his religious affiliation or belief was, he told me that he was still searching.

I asked him, “If you could create a religion around what you believed to be true about God, what would that look like?”

His response was something like this: “I would see God as all loving and not judgmental. I would see God as the creator of all living things, with no respect to race, religion or any other bias. I would see God encompassing all religions, mostly. But, I’ll tell you, it’s hard to get past the old beliefs that have been handed down to me in a very bible-based religion.”

I felt a strong sigh of relief when I heard his testimony. I love when people come to my office searching and are open to understanding the Greatness of Omnipotent, all-loving, all-giving Spirit. We have an unlimited resource of good, when we open our hearts and minds to spirit and God without religious bias.

When I read Eckhart Tolle’s book, “A New Earth,” I was amazed at how a Buddhist monk could recognize all religious paths and make them equally important in the movement of spirit on this earth. I loved the book so much that I began to search out of my own religious box of Christianity to find things in other religions that spoke to me. Ganesha was one of these deities that popped out with great influence and dignity.

First of all, I have always had an affinity to elephants. If you have never seen a statue of Ganesha, do a Google search and take look. He’s marvelous.

I used to think that these deities were idols. Before now, my personal religious belief would frown upon me having a statue that represented significant power. But then I remember growing up Catholic. We had crosses, the blessed Virgin Mary on the half-shell in the front yard, and pictures of Jesus on the wall. These were as much icons as any Hindu God.

Then, as I studied the religions, I understood that Hinduism sees God as a pantheon of personalities. Hindus find it impossible to see God in one figure, so they imagined God expressing as many different figures. Each statue “reminds” you of one attribute of the great God. This, to me, is fascinating. I was NOT actually bowing down to an idol, in my great respect for Ganesha. I simply was letting myself be reminded of God’s ability to bring prosperity and protection to my life.

My new found wonder in Hindu mysticism is like the art of Feng Shui. When you put a picture of a man in your relationship corner, because you want to find a great relationship, you are not bowing down to that picture. You are simply reminding yourself, every time you look in the corner of your room that God is open to helping you find that perfect mate. You have taken time and diligence to do something that brings you to the creative source in your brain. When you ask, you receive. “Knock, and the door will be opened to you,” Jesus said.

So, all of these icon don’t necessarily create special demigods in our lives, they simply remind us of the different attributes of the One God we all know as the true Source of All good.

Don’t be afraid to look at other religions. It can only bring you compassion and love toward something and someone you never understood before. I have found this to be true in my own life as I move forward in allowing God to be All in All.


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: