Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Power of a Seed

The Power of a Seed

I heard a message recently by Dr. Mitch Johnson, the pastor of Center of Spiritual Living Nashville, in which he explained the nature of a seed. To paraphrase, he suggested that a seed can be from an orange in Florida, and, if you plant it anywhere with the right temperature, it will grow, because by its nature, it is programmed to explode with new life.

A seed is magnificent and magical. Something so tiny can become something so majestic—for instance a Sequoia, one of the largest trees in the world comes from a small seed.

Every year, I save seeds from the last year’s annuals to plant for the next year. I used to take such care in potting and planting each individual seed. Then when the seedlings would grow large enough, I would transplant them into the garden exactly where I wanted them to take root.

Lately, I’ve been scattering the seeds or just throwing them into the air. I am always thrilled with the amount of plants that come up when I copy what nature would innately express: a.) the seeds naturally would come to a head; b.) the wind blows them in all directions; and c.) new plants grow the next year.

I’ve discovered that the power of nature is often much stronger than the power of taking the individual seeds and planting them into small pots. I’m not exactly sure why. It would seem that the more nurtured the seed, the better chance it would have to grow. But year after year, my neighbor and I throw seeds out in the spring. By summer, our gardens are lush with new annuals.

Seeds are generally metaphorically identified as thoughts or ideas. Usually I say with careful nurturing, the thoughts or ideas will take root in your life and express as reality. But I’m wondering now if putting too much effort into ideas and not letting nature or Spirit take your seed to its intended path could be a bit counterintuitive.

My greatest life achievements have happened from a combination of being prepared as the perfect opportunity expressed itself. The times I have labored over decisions and ideas, wondering exactly how and when I should proceed, have been times in my life where anxiety has accompanied seed thoughts. In these instances I almost never achieved what I desired.

When we leave God out of the growing experience, whether it be in our vegetable or flower gardens or in the gardens of our lives, we do ourselves a great disservice. Life, by definition, begins and ends with the breath of life God gives. So, to express life in any form, we must have the power of spirit undergirding our ideas and expressions for them to take flight, like fledgling birds innately knowing their path is to fly off into the air with wings God gave them.

There is never a question as to if the birds will fly. The question is always when and with what amount of courage and fortitude it will take to make that first thrust into the wind. Sometimes they need a push. Sometimes they gently fly out of the nest.

Let your ideas flow from you today. But give Spirit time to nurture the innate desires inside and feed them with knowledge. You will know when it is time and when you are strong enough to spread your wings and fly. 

* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day. If you are looking to enter the RSS or Atom Feed, you have to go to the home page of the blog to get there. Also, I write this Blog as a part of Finding Authentic You Ministries. If you would like to send an offering or a tithe, your donation would greatly be appreciated: 5001 Maywood Drive, Nashville, TN 37211.

And I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.




No comments: