Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Royal Puffery on #PrincessCruises - Part II

Royal Puffery on #PrincessCruises — Part II

I just got back from a 7-day cruise on the Royal Princess, a brand new ship that had just been launched June of 2013 and christened by Princess Kate. This beautiful ship spans the size of almost four football fields, replete with every kind of class, luxury, or relaxation you might imagine. But, with the luxury and classes, comes plenty of royal puffery.

Food Aboard the Princess

The first night we ended up having to eat at the only 24-hour food source available because the medical and security process took so long. (IF YOU HAVEN’T READ PART ONE, GO BACK JANUARY 25TH’S BLOG.) Each item of food we tried was better than the next. One thing you can count on, as we were told by the Cruise Director, Ron Goodman, that most people gain from one to three pounds A DAY on a cruise. That would mean we could gain, if we didn’t watch what we ate, 7-21 pounds. I gained about 5 or 6, but have lost four already just three days at home and monitoring my food and exercise.

I know other people, personally, who gained 15 or pounds on the ship. So, watch out for the wonderful food, and make your choices count. I chose small portions of the rich food and ate lots of leafy and green vegetables daily, which helped out a lot. The ship’s chefs also had many forms of protein, including fresh grilled fish daily. I also took great advantage of those healthy choices for my own figure. I, also, found it very interesting that every day the chefs had made gluten-free and sugar-free options for almost everything. I had gluten free bread, desserts, and pasta while onboard. I also asked for agave nectar as a sweetener, which they also had.

Spa Treatment’s Aplenty

(I am providing the name and the kind of therapy of each practitioner, because I saw nowhere on the ship any kind of certification papers for anyone, even when I asked.) Our second day onboard was the day we chose to make our spa day. We had a couple’s massage and facial with Megan Scarratt and Arceli Paduga. After the beautiful massage, we were asked to sit on a couch and were given a prescription of lotions and detoxifying formulas that would cost upward of $300. We declined. Again, royal puffery.

JUST AN ASIDE: I felt it was very interesting how every time a practitioner would quote prices on the ship, he or she never say the word dollars or hundred. So, for three hundred and fifty-five dollars, they would say, “That would be for three, five, five.” And with their foreign accents, everything sounded quite palatable.

Next, we both had our teeth whitened by Natasha Fiskin from Russia. You can tell, all of these technicians were from different countries. The teeth whitening worked great for my partner, but for me, who has two front caps, it didn’t work so well. We were told by Natasha that she could whiten caps. I saw a small difference. But what was most interesting was that she, also, provided us with 3 months worth of capsules of teeth whitener that we were to use, which cost ONE FOUR SEVEN per person. Natasha said that this treatment was surely not going to cause any gum problems as other treatments do. After two days I had stop the treatment because I couldn’t bite down on my front tooth without severe pain. I asked Natasha about it, she said to make sure I don’t touch the gums. So, this treatment was supposed to never affect the gums, yet I had to avoid the gums, which, by the way, I had avoided the entire time. Royal puffery.

The next spa treatment I had was called a Ionthermie-Detox and Inch Loss Treatment from Mitsy-Misuko Tsubobayashi. I have no idea what kind of certification she had, though she told everybody at the seminar with this detox she could help you lose 1-3 inches immediately. Now, this was the height of Royal Puffery, in my estimation. Mitsy used electrodes on your problem area for over twenty minutes, making each of your surrounding muscles engorge with blood and tighten. So, when she measured you before and after, your muscles were flabby when you started and so tight you couldn’t let out your stomach at the end. Of course, I lost an inch. But when I went back to the room, the muscle therapy had worn off and I was back to my inch larger stomach. Mitsy also said that I had “clogged lymph nodes in my stomach—in fact, 120 of them.” Interestingly enough, I met a doctor that evening at a GLBT get together who told me that was completely incorrect. He said, “If your lymph nodes were clogged that would each swell up to the size of a dime.” Mitsy told me I needed FOUR ZERO THREE of seaweed to help detox my body. I decided to pass on that as well, fortunately.

The last spa treatment I had was a pedicure. It was great. Althea Rose didn’t offer me any extras to go with my toes. I had a friend who also used their Hair Waxing Process. It was a very clean process, but it did cause my friend to break out severely afterward in sensitive areas. The sixty dollar oil didn’t help with that.

All in all I spent 947 dollars on the spa, which includes a 15% gratuity for everything, including drinks, extra food services (their were three sit-down restaurants on board that charged $25 extra just to go there).

Internet Aboard the Vessel

If you are traveling with any kind of computer, Ipad, tablet, or cellphone, don’t expect to get reception after 50 miles out to sea. If you want reception, you are welcome to pay a considerable fee for it. I checked email two times, only looking at the titles, because the process was about 5 times slower than normal internet services. Each minute cost $1.95 and to get connected it cost $3.95. So, for 3-4 minutes, I was charged 10.95. I opted to not worry about the cellphone, because I wanted to get away from business, not bring it with me.

______________________________________________

New Challenge: Go to Week 10 of the “Year to CLEAR Challenge” at www.Bosebastian.com
______________________________________________

Go to www.bosebastian.com for Week One to Four Challenges:
TOOLS FOR CHANGE:
Go to Storefront to buy any of the following or make a donation to Finding Authentic You: www.shop.bosebastian.com

·       My Latest Book: Finding Authentic You—7 Steps to Effective Change (800 page downloadable Kindle version)
·       Introduction to Meditation
·       Smoke Cessation mp3
·       Weight Loss mp3
·       Hypnotic Lap Band surgery Mp3
·       Insomnia mp3
·       Eternal Om mp3
·       Meditation Music mp3
·       Guide to Meditation mp3
·       Healing the Body mp3
·       And my “Lessons from the Heart” book ready for your download purchase.
Go to Home Page: www.BoSebastian.com


* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com. Please feel free to comment and/or sign up to receive your blog sent to you directly or stream with an RSS Feed.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day.  I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

Also, look for MY LATEST BOOK:  “Finding Authentic You, 7 Steps to Effective Change” with a Year to CLEAR (C-larity, L-ove, E-nthusiasm A-nd R-elationship-Ready) on my Website in the Webstore. Thanks!





No comments: