Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Surrogate Member of the Family #family #extendedfamily #footsoldierforGod

A Surrogate Member of the Family
#family #extendedfamily #footsoldierforGod

Yesterday, I had been invited by one of my best friends to be with her family as a mother and four daughters grieved the death of their beloved father during the viewing and funeral. Before I departed for the small town about 45 minutes away from me, I chiseled out some quiet time after my usual yoga practice and sat to listen for any guidance. The words I heard in my heart were: “Be still and let the family lean on you. Those simple words didn’t seem to mean that much in the moment, but as the day progressed, I understood completely why I had been given that profound message.

When I arrived at the funeral home, I immediately saw the partner of my dear friend. They are a lesbian couple in the midst of a very traditional family, which I thought quite interesting, especially in this small town. I hugged the girlfriend and proceeded inside to find the woman whose father died. She was standing in the midst of the chaos, still and poised. I went over to her, waited for her to finish a conversation with an elderly man, and then gave her the biggest hug. I could tell, right away, that she was relieved to see me, as she sighed and released some of her anxiety while we hugged.

Remembering the words of spirit, though I felt as if I was intruding into something so personal, I asked permission to stay close to her. She responded, “Absolutely. In fact, I wish you would sit with the family during the funeral. Take a seat close to the front. When they usher the family in, I’ll motion to you to come and join us.”
I had never met her father, and I wanted to see what he looked like without getting too close to the casket, because I didn’t want to appear jaded and without grief. In that instance, one of the sisters of my friend hugged me. She had been a yoga student. We talked for a moment, then I went back to sit with my friend and her partner, until I was politely ushered into the chapel, so the family could have their final moments.

In the chapel, I sat with my eyes closed, near the front as asked, and listened to the beautiful and haunting music. In a few minutes the tearful family walked in. Just as she had said, my friend waved to me to sit between her and her youngest sister, who I barely remember meeting. I’m sure the entire family and friends were thinking, what is that unfamiliar man doing sitting with the family?

So, there I was between my tearful friend and a very distraught youngest sister, who was Daddy’s favorite. As I sat there, I felt as if I was not just a surrogate family member, but I was taking the place of the compassionate father in that instance. Many moments happened during the service when I reached over to the youngest sister to comfort her, and she fell into my embrace as if I had been her best friend for years. My dear buddy mostly held my hand during the service. It was then that I had realized that being God’s steadfast leaning post was a divine blessing to the family. Later, the youngest daughter told me I had been the perfect person to sit next to her, as she felt I was able to provide the comfort she needed. My friend was very thankful as well.

My insight is this: Sometimes we are to be the “Crystal in the Chaos” for God. We don’t have to be much. We must, however, just offer our humanness as a conduit for Spirit to use as needed. Yesterday, I was honored to be a compassionate foot soldier in the divine army of God.

***
Finding Authentic You is my brand and is also a self-help guide, which I wrote, with 365 Discoveries, meant to aid you in facilitating some of life’s most difficult challenges, like sleep, anxiety, spiritual guidance, and relationship problems. But, the discoveries also lead you to what you believe spiritually, understanding your goals, learning to believe in your self, discovering the most distinct you, unlocking all of your negative thinking, and helping you replace it with positive, creative thought using many different modalities, including hypnosis, prayer, and psychology.



For much more information about finding out about the psychology of the human mind and being your authentic self, self-love, and self-esteem, check out my new book below.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=finding%20authentic%20you&sprefix=finding+%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afinding%20authentic%20you

* Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-445-8861 or www.BoSebastian.com. Please feel free to comment and/or sign up to receive your blog sent to you directly or stream with an RSS Feed.

Please spread the word by liking the page or sharing this with your friends. Also, as the senior editor of Findingauthenticyoupublishing.com, Bo would love for you to checkout the bookshelf for books he has written or acquired, or if you want to submit a book, to this site for help, please feel free. Thanks for being a part of my tribe.

No comments: