Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What Is That Smell? #sensorydefensiveness #adultautism

I’m very sensitive to smell when I’m in crowded places. Sometimes in church or at a mall, I’ll sense ten different colognes and body odors. I feel as though someone has attacked me physically through my olfactory system in those situations. Other times, light can be too bright or too neon for my eyes. I’ll get a headache or a migraine, if I don’t protect my eyes. If I eat something that is slightly amiss from the taste I’m expecting, I assure you, I’m going to send it back to be cooked correctly. Most people would say, I’m simply a pain in the ass to be around. But what I have is actually on the cusp of adult autism called Sensory Defensiveness.

Sometimes I walk into my home and catch a whiff of something putrefying or dank. My senses are like a dog’s, so most people don’t even notice what I smell. I begin to sniff through the house until I uncover the odor. Sometimes, it’s a rotten potato at the bottom of the 10 lb. bag. Sometimes, it’s a dishcloth that soured. Other times, it’s a vegetable in the garbage can that became rotten. Whatever it is, I can’t sleep until I find the culprit and get it out of the house. My Sensory Defensiveness is more about smells than anything else, but yours could be any one of the senses. For instance, I have a friend who can’t listen to something off pitch. The instrument makes her cringe inside as if someone is sliding a diamond across a piece of glass.

If you’re never heard this term, I’m not surprised. I didn’t discover what ailed me until someone handed me the book: Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight, by Sharon Heller, which explains the not-so-rare phenomena. About 10% of us have this disease.

Quite honestly, I breathed a sigh of relief. Just knowing that there is a reason why I go to a bar and want to fall asleep, or scream, or get the feeling of being overly stimulated in crowds and at shopping marts. My neural pathways in my brain fire too quickly, causing this adverse effect in my body. Many ways exist to help calm my mind and slow down the hurling thoughts and impressions when I’m over stimulated.

I can help as a life coach and hypnotist to calm your mind and change your exhausting world to one of peace and strong personal choice! If you have been experiencing this social and environmental anxiety, just pick up the phone and call me for an appointment. I promise, I can help, almost immediately.
_______________________________

TOOLS FOR CHANGE:
Go to Storefront to buy any of the following or make a donation to Finding Authentic You: www.shop.bosebastian.com


Introduction to Meditation
Smoke Cessation mp3
Weight Loss mp3
Hypnotic Lap Band surgery Mp3
Insomnia mp3
Eternal Om mp3
Meditation Music mp3
Guide to Meditation mp3
Healing the Body mp3
And my “Lessons from the Heart” book ready for your download purchase.
Go to Home Page: www.BoSebastian.com


______________________________________________

New Challenge: Go to Week 13 of the “Year to CLEAR Challenge” at www.Bosebastian.com
______________________________________________

Go to www.bosebastian.com for Week One to Four Challenges:

* * *

Bo Sebastian is a Hypnotherapist and Life & Health Coach, available for private sessions to QUIT SMOKING, Lose Weight, New Lap-Band Hypnosis for Weight Loss, CHANGE YOUR MIND, CHANGE YOUR LIFE! at 615-400-2334 or www.bosebastian.com. Please feel free to comment and/or sign up to receive your blog sent to you directly or stream with an RSS Feed.

I am trying to spread the word about my blog and I need your help. Please let your friends know it exists, if it gives you hope and blesses you each day.  I would be greatly pleased for you to share anything that you read by clicking the share button in Facebook.com/bo.sebastian, or add it to your Twitter at BoSebastian; or LinkedIN at Bosebastian5@gmail.com; or find this blog home at www.FindingAuthenticYou.com. Any of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel, just by typing my name in the search header.

Also, look for MY LATEST BOOK:  “Finding Authentic You, 7 Steps to Effective Change” with a Year to CLEAR (C-larity, L-ove, E-nthusiasm A-nd R-elationship-Ready) on my Website in the Webstore. Thanks!




No comments: